Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Please help.. I'm not sure if my arm is broken or not!!!!!?

I was running hurdles today I and I fell.. Pretty hard.. I have a huge bruise on my hip and my arm hurts so bad I want to cry. I have broken this arm *right arm* before. It hurts bad, I can harly move my fingers, how do I know the difference between a sprain and a broken arm?I'm soo worried because, like I said, I have broken this before --- What do I do? Please help.. :( I am so scared and in pain.My mom thinks I am "faking it" - please please help me!
Answer:
A fracture will usually result in a lot of swelling. It doesn't always mean that yoy will not be able to move your fingers as there are two bones in your arm and one or both can fracture. If there is a particular spot in the arm that is extreemly painful then considering the fact you have broken it before, it is entirely possible that you have broken it again. Bruising is also a good indicator of a fracture. Get some cold packs on it, and protect it from further injury. You will have to go see a doctor for an x-ray but if you begin to lose any feeling in your fingers or your skin begins to appear blue or pale go to the E.R.
First off, having broken the arm before should not be a factor in whether it is broken again. When bones heal from a fracture, they form a callus...generally this callus is stronger than it was in its originality! Pretty neat, huh? But if I were you, it is always better to get it checked out. Be sure to ICE a lot.ICE the first 24-48...then heat. Be careful with it. You may want to splint it overnight, until the Dr.'s office opens tomorrow. There is no sure way to tell if a bone is broken unless it is OBVIOUSLY broken. Examples: the bone is sticking out of the skin, or there is an obvious deformity where the bone is fractured under the skin. If it is a fracture from attempting to break a fall...you would more than likely fracture at the joint of the wrist - often called a greenstick fracture.Best of luck!
Heidi.
an xray is the only way to know if it's fractured -unless the bone ends are sticking out of the skin. get to an urgent care.
i for tonight i would suggest R.I.C.Eing it.
R- Rest ..try not to use it too much.
I- Ice it for no longer 15-20 minutes..and wait 20 minutes after applying ice to ice the injury again.
C-compression.. If you have an ACE bandage then wrap your wrist..but not too tightly..if it begins to throb or swell then unwrap and rewrap looser..its not a good idea to sleep with an ACE bandage tightly wrapped incase of swelling.
E- Elevate..try to keep your wrist above your heart..liek when you are laying down you can lay it across your chest or prop it up on a pillow.
You can take some advil or ibeprofen for the pain and swelling but follow the directions on the bottle.
Then tomarrow go to your schools athletic trainer or your coach and tell them because if you dont it could cause it to get worse.
You will probably have a lot of swelling, bruising, and pain which it sounds like you have so the only way to tell is if you go to the doctor and get an x-ray. Just because you've broken the arm before doesn't mean it puts you at risk for breaking it again or anything. A sprain is a soft tissue injury, and a break is a break to the bone, but it can be hard to tell without an x-ray if something is broken or not. I would try some ibuprofen, ice, wrap it, and elevate it. If you feel that you need to see a doctor then honestly tell your mom that you think you need to see your doctor tomorrow morning. I know how it goes with faking pain...my parents thought that I was faking my nerve pain (I have something called rsd/crps which is a really painful condition that I got from my knee surgery) and I was in such agony that I could hardly walk, and eventually they finally believed me because the pain got so bad so eventually your mom will have to believe you if it doesn't get any better. Good luck...if it doesn't start to feel any better you probably should go to your doctor and get an x-ray good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment