Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Pain Management for neck?

My mother got hurt working in a psych ward in November. She has 3 badly herniated disks (I think it's C4-C6). They've tried epidurals, haven't worked, anti-inflammatories don't do much, and they told her there is nothing they can do. She can hardly sleep, she's on narcotics (she takes 1-2 percosets a day) and it at her wits end. They say surgery only has a 10% chance of working and only lasts up to 5 years. Has anyone been through this? Are there any other options that they haven't mentioned or don't know about? She isn't too keen on not being able to work and being in excrutiating pain for the rest of her life. If you know of any procedures, please give me your sources so I can show them to her. She's a nurse so she's going to want to see them, thank you so much!
Answer:
Has she tried Physical Therapy?? I had Cervical Spinal Fusion surgery one yr.ago and, I'm like a new person. I am a RN and, being a Nurse, we know what can go wrong with this type of surgery. I was scared to have the surgery as well. But, the pain and the symptoms became unbearable. Each person's recovery process varies. I did not have any complications from the surgery. I followed my Neurosurgeon's advice, faithfully went 2 P.T. and, I recuperated quickly. I opted not to have a bone fusion ( they take bone from the hip and place in the neck ). I choose to have Titanium Plates ( I have two in the same region as your Mom). Did she seek a second opinion?? I do not have any sources except from my own personnel experience and years of hospital experience.
I know what she is going thru, I had the same thing with me and they told me all this stuff that nothing was going to help and all this crap and so I went to a neurosurgeon and got a second opinion and he told me surgery would may or may not help but he thought it would help so I did it and let me tell you it was very painfull for a couple of months, but I am now headache free and almost pain free.. so maybe she should go and get another opinion and she what happens... i hope she gets to feeling better! I know that the medication she is on is very addicting and not good for you it just covers up the problem..
I am currently having the same general problem. After about 3 years with pain associated with prolapsed/bulged disks in my neck, all the constant muscle spasms in my neck and upper back and left arm pain and twitching, I have made the decision to have it fixed. I take the anti inflammation drugs and they help a bit. but I refused to let them inject my neck with steroids etc. The reason is that it is just a temporary relief thing and just like pain pills, which i also will not take for the condition. I put the surgery off for the last 3 years but have reconsidered due to the fact that I am tired of living with this constant pain and kept thinking what will the pain be like when I am elderly? If I were your mom I would seek other opinions and get info on the success rate of an orthopedic surgeon to repair it. Make sure you get a GOOD surgeon to perform the operation. ultimately, Only she can make the decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment