Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Pain or withdrawal?

After birth of my son 7 months ago my fibromyalgia went from mild to severe. Still on pain meds from then. My rumatologist prescribed me Tylenol#3 and DF118(hydrocodene)30-60mg every 6 hours if needed. Only use Df118 when severe. Take about 2 doses of Tylenol3 daily. It is winter here in South Africa. Is my fibro worse because of that or does it need the pain meds? How should I taper myself off? The Amitryptiline makes me agressive, so I do not take it anymore. What is the first symptoms of withdrawal?
Answer:
I too suffer from fibro. I take lortab 10/650 and did take amitryptaline which I also stopped taking because of side effects. The withdrawal from it was horrible. When I tried to stop taking my pain med the pain was always worse. I have decided to keep taking it. Why be in pain when there is something to stop it? Is there a specific reason you want to quit? The medication can cause you no harm if you take it as prescribed. As for the first symptom of withdrawal, it could be a number of different things. Mood swings, nervousness, headaches, many more including severe pain. I hope this helps and if you ever need to talk with someone else in your shoes feel free to contact me.
it is a withdraw and you need to little by little stop the pills of the hydrocoden and stay off them if you can.
please listen to me i know this first hand.
Symptoms of withdrawel are:
Runny nose, dilated pupils (huge pupils), hot/cold sweats, shakes, body aches, nausea, exhaustion, cravings for the drug/perscription etc. Extreme cases : seizures, blackouts.
First of all, I would speak with your doctor about changing or reducing meds. Aside from that, there are many alternative medicines/treatments out there that may provide you with some relief while stopping or reducing medications. That may be worth trying. Some examples might include:Acupuncture
Massage therapy
Raki
YogaA few signs of withdrawal from medicines would be:Irritability
shakes
weight loss
anxiety
hot/cold sweats
fever
loss of appetite
desire for the drug
se*ual side effectsI was recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, and have found acupuncture to be helpful with that, and with migraines. I would still consult a medical professional first before changing too much with your system.
I have fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis as well. the winter will make the fibro worse but stopping the medicine will make it 10x's worse. Stay on your meds or you will be in crucial pain.
As far as tapering off and the withdrawl....decrease your dosage very slowly. So if you took 8 pills a day....start off by going with 7 3/4 pills the next day and so on and so on. You are still going to have a withdrawl but not as severe. I was taking about 120 mg of hydrocordone a day and tried recently to just stop cold turkey and it was the worst thing ever. Body aches and pains, chils, fever, vomiting, diarhea, restlessness..slept horrible. I elected to do the decreased dosage each day and plan to be off by July 1st. It will be rough again I know but less miserable all around. You can also get a drug from your doctor to help with the withdrawls. Good luck to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment