Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Old Sprained Ankle Question?

About 8 years ago I sprained my left ankle it's an old sprain. Why does it still bother me sometimes it feels like I sprained it all over again?
Answer:
i ihurt my left ankle about 4 years ago. i chipped,fractured and sprained it all in about ten secoonds. the doctor told me any time you do something like that you will have trouble with it later because it weakens the bones and muscles in your foot area. especially if you are on your feet alot. mine are also starting to swell every once in a while too. hope you get along ok. e-mail me if you have any questions. i went to the doctor for a whole year with this thing. my e-mail is shadow79812002@yahoo.com
Scaring. I tore ligaments in my ankle and finally had it surgically repaired. But, I'd guess it's scaring aka adhesions.
O my gosh! I completely know the feeling!! I sprained my really bad about 5 years ago and just about 3 weeks ago I couldn't walk on it! I didn't twist it or anything. It just started hurting. My mom's a nurse and she said sometimes it will just do that. She says take some asprin and tough it out. I couldn't tell you why it hurts like that... sorry! Good luck with that!!
Most sprains will result in a little bit of permanent tissue damange. This is because the ligament has a very poor blood supply. Other ligaments and tendons try to compensate, but it can still lead to increased stress in these areas as well as some degenerative changes in the original site. A course of PT might be beneficial to teach the muscles of the lower extremtity to help compensate for this chronic instability. Surgery is rarely indicated.
I did something similar many decades ago. Bone spur developed (calcium build up on the numerous ankle bones) I had surgery to remove the spurs - after I healed it felt better but the inflammation return much worst than before. Try ice bags - use the cold treatment for 20-min and the pain will go away for hours. Science hasn't caught up with this pain,
Then you sprain your ankle it will heal and there will be a scar surrounding the damage area. Depending on now big this scar is, it will effect you. The scar is a weak spot in the tissue, any extra strain or stress in the area of the scar will be multiplied due to his weak spot. If it is too much for the scar to handle it will simply hurt again. All I can say is either visit your doctor and ask what he recommends (maybe a supported band) or then it does play up simply rest your ankle.

No comments:

Post a Comment