Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Quiting Smoking?

Has anyone here been able to quit smoking? If so, what made you decide to quit, how did you quit, and how long did it take for the cravings to go away? Did you notice that things tasted and smelled differently afterwards? Do you feel physically different (gained weight, can walk faster, don't cough, etc.)?Any info will help me : )
Answer:
Contact the Quitline and join a Quit Smoking Clinic.
i quit by never smoking ever lol
Yes, someone has quit smoking. And for the better always. You can do it!
just dont buy any and stay away or ask friend not to smoke around you. it takes lots of will power
GOOD LUCK =)
I've tried and failed a few times :(I made it up to 3 days twice,. but thats the furthest I've made it.
I quit once for two years, and yeah, it's like different. but the bummer is that after two years, I still missed it each and every day, and one day weakness took hold of me and I started again. ten years later, still doing it. my quit date this time is aug 1. the plan? just drop it, cold turkey. worked last time!
My g/f wouldn't kiss me or or move in with me until I quit. It wasn't hard. I understood why she didn't want to kiss a dirty mouth. I now think it is disgusting.
well i don't smoke however my mother did on and off for 20+ years! she has stopped smoking about 3+ years ago and told me that although sometimes she craves it she knows that her kids need her in their future! do you have family? parents? kids of your own? also do it for yourself! only when you are ready to quit you will succesfully quit. About smelling things differently yes its a common thing to experience, also my mom loves to chew on fruity gums etc.! hope I helped and good luck!
I have never smoked, (and keeping it that way) but when i'm quitting a bad habbit, i think of it as something really gross, like i would pretend the cigarette is made of fertilizer or something, or i'd close my eyes, count down from three and throw them away!(easy, but really effective!) or think of a lot of really good things in life, so you don't want to smoke, because smoking is like suicide. or maybe try to start new, for example, try something new, live life in a role models perspection, because if you try to become a better person, you realize you dont need to smoke any more. Good luck and best wishes!
I tried repeatedly for two years before I was finally able to quit. I didn't use any aids (gum, patches, etc.), I just gradually reduced the amount that I smoked. My main problem was that anytime I drank, I NEEDED to smoke. When I made it through an evening of drinking without taking a puff, I knew I had beat it. Honestly, after three years, the cravings still have not gone away entirely. I no longer crave cigarettes under normal circumstances, but I get cravings after my morning coffee and while drinking.Food definitely tasted better after, and I realized that I hadn't actually smelled anything in years. Walking by doughnut shops became heavenly. I gained weight after quitting, about 15 pounds. After about 6 months though, I dieted and lost it. You will definitely feel hungrier after quitting, but a little weight gain is far better than lung cancer. I can walk farther and climb stairs again. I also get sick far less frequently.Overall, quitting was very hard to do, but it was very rewarding.
I am going on two years and the craving are still there without help. The patch is the best but you really have to want to quit and make a choice even though you still crave the cigarettes. I have made up my mind to quit and have given myself the choice to smoke when I have real strong cravings. Just putting distance from you and people that smoke helps. I am working on it every day and it gets better. I have felt guilty when I do smoke but it is a real reminder for me to know why it is that I am going to quit.
It is only as difficult as your resolve. As of this writing, I have not had a cigarette for 18 months. I smoked for 6 years, after quitting for 3, after smoking for 5. Cigarettes are not in control. Will can be stronger.In both periods of not smoking, which I quit cold turkey, a headache settled in about 10 days into it that would not go away. I fought the headache and the urge with all my will the first time, but the second I knew better. Its the withdrawal headache, and as little as one drag will make it vanish. The trick is to throw away the cigarette after 1-2 drags and not finish it. Take those 1-2 drags as a remedy for that headache and then walk away. Your tolerance will be down and the 1-2 will be all you need. Trash any unwanted cigarettes and find a vent. Will power is paramount. Nothing else cured the headache for me, ranging from lavender oil on the temples to every OTC remedy I could find. You have to WANT to quit.
hi i have not had a cigarette for 4 days, ready for england smokefree on 1st july ..i booked myself in the non smoking clinic at my pharmacy ..i am on nicquitin clear patches and have a inhulator( Plastic cigarette) it is definatley helping with the cravings, as my husband smokes around me and because of my will power to succeed it doesnt really bother me , I smoked for 17 years 20 a day..i clean alot haha...i find myself chores and jobs to do to take my mind of it ..i take my dog for a walk everyday,but before stopping by the time im heading back up my hill , im breathless and starting to sweat a little, today i breezed up the hill not at all breathless, and no sweating at all ..also i can smell so much better and taste things more, and my skin is improving already, no wheezing ..i have coughed a little but i think its all the rubbishclearing of my chest, oh and i smell so much nicer so my kids have told me...its amazing..i may gain a little weight, but hey i can work it off as i will feel fitter and i have more energy already...my house has been bleached and polished as i could smell the odour of cigarettes throughout the whole of the house , and i only smoked in my kitchen occasionally...scary i know...i will go every week to my check up , monoxide test ..i had 11mg and i had not smoked for 9 hours beforehaving it done SHOCKING ..we discuss how im getting on etc..i have a phone number to ring , if i need someone to talk to ...i will be on the patches for about 6 - 12 weeks ...but i say dont do it alone join a non smoking clinic or visit your gp, they will help with patches etc , which will save you money..i have saved 拢20 already ...just in 4 days of not smoking..if you need a chat add me to your friends i will be only to happy to chat...good luck
I quit smoking 4 weeks ago today to be exact. I think I was just ready I ran out of smokes and decided I just wasn't going to do it anymore. I haven't had cravings too bad,its strange though sometimes it's like I forgot I quit smoking I think I want a smoke then I remember oh yeah I don't do that anymore, but when this happens I am ok with it. Part of the reason I quit is because I want to have kids and I don't want to smoke while I am pregnant or around my kids so now is the time to quit. Good luck its not easy but you can do it I smoked for 9 years.
4 years ago I told my husband he had to quit smoking before we got married. He had a lot of cravings when he went out with friends, but he made it through. About 3 or 4 months after he quit he could taste, smell, and breathe better. Now he looks back and asked himself why he ever liked doing it. When he sees smokers now he thinks it's disgusting. You can do it! I know you can! Oh, and I told him I'd give him a half hour back rub at the end of each week if he didn't smoke at all.
My girlfriend quit smoking one year ago, we live together and it was madness! For about the first month or so, it was like she was someone else. She was very on edge, and little depressed. She described it as losing her best friend, she always thought that she was never really addicted until she tried to quit. I am a respiratory therapist and have seen the suffering that a smoking lifestyle leads to, however the choice to quit was her own. I can tell you that many people try and try to quit, but research has shown the more attempts you have, the closer you become to being smoke free. I recommended to her, as I do my patients, to have a back up plan, like nicorette gum, or patch. Also, dont beat yourself up if its harder than you thought, allow your body and mind time to adjust. A great tool is to find something that encourages taking those slow deep breaths like you would with a cigarette. Part of the appeal of smoking is taking that time for yourself to inhale and exhale in a relaxing way. Try yoga, or meditation. My girlfriend would use lavender oil, when she had a craving, she would put a drop in her palm and rub her hands together, and just inhale the aroma nice and slowly. Granted she quickly became addicted to the oil, but that was harmless. Now I am rambling..so good luck and try to be nice to the people that love while your quiting :0)
I quit smoking on 23 of may not long after the smoking ban came into force in wales with the help of a nicorette inhalator which i am using less and less but it is a great help if you get a really bad moment, my scence of smell has improved greatly and my mouth feels great it used to be dry and sore when i smoked now i can enjoy my food more, i am eating more but have not put that much weight on 1 or 2 pound but i notice a massive difference in myself when i walk or run i do feel fitter and healthier in a short time and i smoked 20 or more roll ups a day for 18 years, i never would of thought i could stop so there is hope for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment