Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Question for City Paramedics?

HelloI'm a Paramedic just graduated a while ago...I work on the oil fields but I hate it and so I am moving to Calgary a city over a million people...I'm just wondering what can I expect in big city what kind of calls? How much severe trauma do you think ill see? Or any other info you think I need to know?Thanks
Answer:
I can't speak for Calgary, but I do work in a large city. 99% of my calls are not critical. They are a mix of people abusing the 911 system, or people who have minor injuries or illness. You will provide a lot of supportive care. You won't see a lot of real trauma, although in a large city you will get some. Just last shift we had a huge MVC with almost an hour of extrication time. We had helicopters on the ground, traffic backed up for miles, news cameras.. You know, the reason we got into this line of work! Good luck in Calgary. Expect to run on a lot of non-critical calls, but always be ready for the critical ones.
That's right, you will see ALOT of non-critical medical or trauma related complaints. Like any other Big City, you need to be prepared for the real thing as well. Just when you think, another dull shift then BANG! 3 hours after you were supposed to get off and you're still there! As you can guess where I work from my screen name, I've been in this business for 20 years and I still haven't seen it all! (have seen more than my fair share though!)I guess it's what keeps me going. You will definitely see more variety of illness in a big city..The more populous,the more likely you'll see strange things. Stuff you learned about in class but will see in the streets. Things like Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm, Placenta Abrupto, Pontine bleeds just to name a few. Good Luck in Calgary!

No comments:

Post a Comment